What is Hammam?
This ritual is done to clean, whiten and soften the skin and it also helps to relax the tired nerves and muscles while enhancing the blood circulation of the body.
The ritual starts in a steam room with a head to toe application of traditional Moroccan black soap to prepare the skin for exfoliation. Moroccan black soap has the texture of butter as it is obtained from a mixture of oil and crushed black olives; it is also rich in Vitamin E. Thanks to its exfoliating and moisturizing properties, it softens and nourishes the skin.
Following the application of black soap, the body is rinsed thoroughly with the water and then the exfoliation procedure starts with special gloves called loofah. While scrubbing with the loofah, dead skin and dirt are removed from the body. Lavish shower and application of moisturizer to the body to perfectly finish the Ritual.
Hammam is an incredibly efficient ritual of purification, once toxins are removed, the body breathes.
Health Benefits of Hammam / Moroccan Bath:
- Rehydrates skin and soothes redness and flakiness.
- Improves skin elasticity and clarity.
- Improves the skin color (whitening).
- It also works as an anti-ageing procedure.
- Balances oil secretion in the skin and controls acne.
- Refines skin texture by removing dead skin layers.
- Nourishes skin with vitamins and also minerals.
- Enhances deep relaxation and rejuvenation.
- Reduces stress and anxiety.
We found this amazing video introducing the Traditional Turkish Hammam, thanks to DaySpa Mandala. Enjoy!
Photo courtesy: Shutterstock